Chelsea’s full squad have gone into self-isolation after winger Callum Hudson-Odoi tested positive for coronavirus, the club said in a statement in the early hours of Friday morning.
Hudson-Odoi displayed cold symptoms on Monday morning and has stayed away from the club since then. His test result was returned on Thursday night making him the first Premier League player known to have contracted the virus.
“Chelsea men’s team player Callum Hudson-Odoi had a positive test result for coronavirus returned this evening,” the Premier League club’s statement said.
“Chelsea personnel who had recent close contact with the player in the men’s team building will now self-isolate in line with Government health guidelines.
“These will include initially the full men’s team squad, coaching staff and a number of backroom staff.
“It is expected that those who did not have close contact with Callum will return to work in the coming days. In the meantime, the men’s team building, one of several separate buildings at our training ground, will remain closed.
“The rest of our training facility, Stamford Bridge and our other facilities are operating as normal.”
The club said despite testing positive, the 19-year-old England international was “doing well and looking forward to returning to the training ground as soon as it is possible”.
The team are scheduled to play at Aston Villa on Saturday evening live on Sky Sports.
The Premier League is to hold a meeting on Friday to determine a course of action in response to coronavirus following the news on Thursday evening that Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta had tested positive.
Arsenal’s entire squad has been put in self-isolation following the news and their match against Brighton on Saturday has already been cancelled.
Chelsea’s statement added: “We will continue to adhere to Government and Public Health Guidelines with regard to our facilities and staff and will be discussing next steps with regards to upcoming fixtures with the Premier League on Friday morning.”
On Thursday, Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed three of his players are being kept away from the rest of the squad after displaying coronavirus symptoms.
Rodgers did not confirm which players may be affected.
“We’ve had a few players that have shown symptoms and signs [of coronavirus]. We’ve followed procedures and (as a precaution) they have been kept away from the squad,” Rodgers said.
“We’ve self-isolated the three of them and we’ll see how that develops in the next couple of days.
“This is about health, this is more than football. This is about players and their families, so any risks that are there for their health and everyone else’s, we have to mitigate against that.”
Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy is in self-isolation as a precaution after a family member was tested for coronavirus.
“The club is aware that a family member of a senior men’s team player is in hospital with symptoms of a respiratory illness,” a club statement read.
City are scheduled to play Burnley in the Premier League at Etihad Stadium on Saturday. Their game on Tuesday against Real Madrid in the Champions League has already been called off.
Real Madrid have placed their players in self-isolation after one of the club’s basketball players, who share facilities with Real’s football players, tested positive for the virus. That led to the instant decision by the Spanish league to bring matches to a halt for the next two rounds.
Juventus’ players, including Cristiano Ronaldo, were already in self-isolation after defender Daniele Rugani tested positive for the virus on Wednesday.
In announcing the postponement of the second leg between City and Real Madrid in the Champions League round of 16 on Tuesday, UEFA said the match between Juventus and Lyon – scheduled for the same night – was also off.