The £130m transfer windfall Chelsea could receive after Newcastle takeover confirmed

Now that the footballing world has had a substantial amount of time to process the £300million Newcastle takeover, the attention has now turned towards who the Magpies will sign in their quest for English football supremacy.

At first, the takeover looked highly unlikely to go through due to privacy issues relating to Qatari Premier League rights broadcaster beIN Sports but that was all sorted and, as a result, the deal went through on Thursday evening.

It was news that shocked the whole world of football as a sleeping giant of the game was finally awoken as a consequence of this new era beginning.

A Premier League statement said: “The Premier League, Newcastle United Football Club and St James Holdings Limited have today settled the dispute over the takeover of the club by the consortium of PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media.

“The legal disputes concerned which entities would own and/or have the ability to control the club following the takeover.

“All parties have agreed the settlement is necessary to end the long uncertainty for fans over the club’s ownership.

“The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club.

“All parties are pleased to have concluded this process which gives certainty and clarity to Newcastle United Football Club and their fans.”

Part of any rebuild, with the aim of making it to the top, could involve the £320billion Saudi owners to splash ridiculous amounts of money on Premier League players.

With this in mind, football.london has taken a look at the Chelsea talent Newcastle could be keeping an eye on and if they could make their move – with four players coming to a combined total value of £130m.

Timo Werner

It’s safe to say so far that the German’s £50million move from RB Leipzig in the summer of 2020 hasn’t panned out as everyone expected it to.

Timo Werner has been linked with a move to Bayern Munich lately. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)

After a poor stint under Frank Lampard which involved Werner and the rest of the attackers lacking a clinical edge in front of goal, not much has changed so far under current manager Thomas Tuchel.

In six Premier League games so far this season, the versatile forward has only provided a total of two goal contributions.

One of which came in the form of a rare and important goal to help Chelsea break down Southampton in the Premier League just before the October international break.

Unless the 25-year-old dramatically steps up his game alongside several other Blues attackers, he could be in danger of being sold sooner rather than later.

Manager Tuchel did say recently that the German international remains a ‘central part’ of his plans going forward which could come as a relief to his fans.

“The players are in charge to take their positions and fight for their positions and once they have it to not give it away,” Tuchel said.

“We are very happy that he scored and played (for Germany in the international break) and on we go.

“We have not too many players but we have players with high quality and high ambition and Timo is clearly a guy that we count on and that is absolutely necessary we have him on high level.”

If Newcastle were to sign Werner, transfermarkt estimates that they will have to spend £49.5million to stand a chance of convincing Marina Granovskaia to part ways with the Stuttgart-born forward.

Hakim Ziyech

A player in a similar situation to Werner is Ziyech as he has struggled to adapt to the pace of the Premier League and life in west London generally.

The Moroccan seems to have his moments in the Blues jersey including his important goals for Chelsea against Man City last season in the FA Cup semi-final and, most recently, his vital goal in the Super Cup against Villarreal.

Unfortunately, that’s all it is at this current time – moments.

Manager Tuchel had expected the former Ajax man to be a big part of his attack this season but his scattered appearances across this 2021/22 campaign illustrate that Ziyech hasn’t lived up to that expectation so far.

“I think Hakim was very promising in pre-season,” said Tuchel. “He had some very good matches last season also some difficulties and hard decisions from me to take.”

The German added: “Hopefully he can find his performance level from this season very, very quickly. Because that can be very important for us.”

Reports were circulating before the takeover was finalised suggesting that the European Champions were looking at Allan Saint-Maximin as a potential replacement but this seems unlikely.

If the Saudis wanted to give the 28-year-old a fresh chance in the Premier League if things don’t improve in SW6, transfermarkt have estimated that they will have to fork out approximately £34.3m.

Callum Hudson-Odoi

Callum Hudson-Odoi started on the left of the Chelsea attack

The versatile youngster has struggled to really make his mark in this current Chelsea set-up since Tuchel took charge midway through last season.

This is despite Hudson-Odoi having a rather impressive display in the last league outing against Southampton before the international period.

Prior to that, the 20-year-old was being used as more of a squad player – a situation that nearly resulted in the Englishmen leaving on deadline day for Borussia Dortmund or Leicester if it wasn’t for the current Chelsea boss who blocked the deal.

“We have spoken. It was a very easy decision for me to make on the last day of the transfer period. We cannot let a player who is in the 18, 19 man squad leave,” Tuchel explained at the time.

“He is able to play as a right wing-back, a left wing-back in the two No.10 positions. He knows the group, we know him very well. There was no chance to say yes on the last day.”

If the Tyneside-based club were to make an acceptable offer for the winger turned wing-back, a fee in the region of £28.8m is required according to transfermarkt.

Ross Barkley

If it wasn’t for hefty wages, the ex-Everton man would likely have already vacated the capital for a new challenge.

It was reported that Burnley wanted to sign Barkley on deadline day, but they couldn’t afford the whole package which meant the Englishman was stuck in his current predicament of not playing enough first-team football.

Thankfully from his perspective, his one chance he was given to impress against the Saints was taken as he played an essential part in helping set up Werner’s tap-in with a lovely Cesc Fabregas-esque pass over the top of the defence.

Despite this moment of brilliance, it is expected that the 27-year-old will now return to the bench, especially because Mason Mount is expected to return from injury after the international period comes to an end.

Furthermore, first-team opportunities will become scarce again and Newcastle could pounce on the opportunity to sign the Liverpool-born attacking midfielder if they were to stump up approximately £15.3m for his services, as per transfermarkt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *